Dependencies can be assigned to display or hide specific elements or tabs based on the end user inputs of another element.
To create an element with dependencies:
Click on the 'Dependency Settings' tab:
1. Click on the 'Add Dependency' button.
2. Fill in the following details:
- Value - The value the dependency is based upon.
- Dependent Element – What tab/element is dependent on these settings
- Control – Show / Hide the dependent element based on the input value
- Set Tag Value allows an admin user to apply a tag to a field using dependencies (e.g. If you pick region X, I will add the tag 'regionapprovergroupX' to that group field which will pull in the correct group. )
- Mandatory - Make Mandatory/Make Optional - configure a field to be either mandatory or optional based on a previous field selection
- Set Control Value – If the input value is used, the value that will be displayed in this element
Note: A wild card * can also be used as a control value - if neither button is pressed the field is hidden.
3. Click '+ New Control' to add multiple dependencies to the same value.
4. Click on the 'Delete' button (trash can icon) to remove a dependency.
5. Click on the 'Duplicate Dependency' button to clone a dependency to make setting up a list of controls more efficient
6. Click 'Save' to complete.
Element Display Settings
'Display Settings' is a configuration setting that enables fields in your form to be shown, hidden, read only or system hidden. This can be applied based on user permissions i.e. submitters, editor, administrators, groups or everyone.
System Hidden is a configuration that allows a set of hidden form fields that the user does not directly fill in but is instead selected via dependencies and other means and then used throughout the submission or workflow process
It is possible to add a number of display settings for each element by clicking on the 'Add Display Setting' button.
For example, in the screenshot above, the element will be:
• Shown to everyone in create mode
• Hidden from everyone in Edit mode
• Read-only for everyone in View mode
The System (hidden but available for calculations etc) setting is a configuration that allows a set of hidden form fields that the user does not directly fill in but is instead selected via dependencies and other means and then used throughout the submission or workflow process.
• Setting user group fields so we know who to assign workflow steps
• Converting text based answers to numbers for calculation purposes i.e. if you select ‘50%’ in a dropdown, a number field .5 is set on the settings tab so we have the right decimal figure to allow us to do the necessary calculation
• Store attribute Matrix picker fields
Using display settings, the system administrator can control which users can see/edit values in a form. Report permissions allow the system administrator to configure which user or group can report on those hidden form fields.
'Block Dates' Functionality
'Block dates' is a configuration that can prevent users from selecting dates 'x' days before or/and after the project submission date
For elements of type 'Date', select the 'Limit dates before' or 'Limit dates after' checkbox and enter the number of days you want blocked out. An error message will appear if the user tries to select a date within the blocked days range.
Once the element has been added, it is displayed in a high level view indicating the following information:
• Field Type
• Field Width
• Display settings
Next page: Groups