Triggers allow the workflow creator to set certain actions to automatically occur based on an end users completed workflow action.
Triggers can be set on each workflow step - either on step entry or on step exit. They can also be scheduled to be executed a set number of days before or after a step date.
Available triggers include 'Email Notification', 'Workflow Document', 'Project', 'Workflow Form', 'Update Assigned Users' or 'Create New Item'
Add a trigger
- Double-click on a step
- Select 'Triggers' tab
- Select 'Add trigger'
- Select the Event (See below)
- Select Type (See below)
- Click 'Save' to complete
Note: The Trigger Title enables the workflow admin to identify the purpose of each trigger without the need to open each one
The trigger event defines the point at which the trigger is automatically actioned.
When a step is entered by the end user completing the action preceding it, an event is triggered.
When a step is exited by the end user completing the action following it, an event is triggered.
Schedule an email to be sent to a user or group on a particular date, or a number of days before or after that date.
Schedule an action to be carried out automatically by the system on a particular date, or a number of days before or after that date.
Schedule an action to be carried out after another specified action has completed.
The trigger type is the action to occur on the trigger event.
An email can be triggered to be sent from the system. The email subject and body can be set to go each time the trigger is kicked off.
An email is sent to selected user(s) when this trigger occurs. 'Option' allows the admin to define to which group of users the email is automatically sent
- Send to Submitter – send the email to the initiator of the workflow
- Send to Assigned Users – send the email to the users directly assigned to the workflow
- Send to All users with access – send the email to all users with access to the asset on which the workflow has been triggered.
- Send to a group - send the email to a particular group configured in the system.
- Specify Email address directly
- Send to email address specified in Form field
- Send to user selected in Form field
Note: The keywords below can be used in the body. These will populate data relevant to the workflow in the title and body of the email:
The below keywords can be used in the body of an email notification.These will populate data relevant to the workflow in the title and body of the email.
• [[WORKFLOW]] - This pulls in the name given to the workflow on the workflow initiation page (This is the page that appears just after a file workflow is created or workflow form is submitted where you can assign users to each step)
• [[PARENT]] - This is the name of the parent i.e. the name of the workbox, title of form list section, or project name.
• [[STEP]] - Displays the name of the current step (the step label text)
• [[STATUS]] - Displays the status text of the current step (the step status text)
• [[DESCRIPTION]] - Displays text from the description field of the current step
• [[DUEDATE]] - This is the due date for the current step in the workflow
• [[META]][[GUID]] - Allows meta information from the workflow to be included in the email.
• [[SUBMITTER]] - Shows the name of the user who:
- Files Area: Chooses a file to submit on a workflow
- Tasks Area: Creates a workflow for another user to submit file/complete form
- Form List: Completes form and initiates workflow
• [[ID]] - This gives the i-node of workflow
• [[ITEM]] - This is the name of the file or form on the workflow
• [[ITEM_LINK]] - Adds a direct link to the item on the workflow. Replaced with the word “here” and acts as direct link to the item
• [[COMMENT]] - Comment added to the workflow details
• [[ACTIONSUMMARY]] - Outlines the actions taken in the previous step and the user that took the action. This will also show comments that were added by the user who actioned the step.
• [[USER]] - The name of the user that performed action or triggered the workflow to move step. Note: This will not list multiple users, only the person that initiated the workflow/actioned the current step.
• [[USERNAME]] and [[USERACCESSDETAILS]] - Allows the user to create a new/guest account for outside users within a workflow .Notes:New user clicks the [[USERACCESSDETAILS]] tag hyper link and is brought to a set password page.This will not work for existing users, or on a file workflow.
• [[ACTION]] - Generates a link directly to an action opening the workflow and the dialog for that action within the current step. Note: This will not work for a file workflow as the link only opens the file previewer
• [[CUR_ID]] - This shows the i-node of the item on the workflow. Note: In a form workflow this will be the form itself; in a file workflow this will be the file/document attached
A trigger can be set to action the actual document on which the end user will start a workflow. The document can be relocated in the system or the document version updated on entering or exiting a particular workflow step.
- Move Document: can be set to which project & project milestone the file is to be automatically moved to. This trigger can also move the file to a workbox or other system folder/subfolder.
- Copy Document - can be set to which project & project milestone the file is to be automatically moved to (See above)
- Move document to next phase in a project
Note: A document can only be moved to the next phase once. For example, for a workflow on a document that is in the first (Strategy) phase of a project, the document can only be moved to the second (Creative Development) phase. This is because the workflow is in the first (Strategy) phase.
- Check in document as a new version: the user will be prompted to upload a new version
- Copy file to Sharepoint
Note: Upon completion of a step within a workflow a new minor version of a document may be uploaded. And on completion of the final step within a workflow a new major version is uploaded.
A trigger can be set up to update the project in which the workflow is kicked off by the end user i.e. completing a workflow step on a file can trigger an update on the project phase.
- Complete the project phase with this workflow – upon completion of this trigger the phase is now complete
- Move this Workflow to the Next Phase – the workflow task will be moved to the next phase in the project and will be listed when that phase is selected.
- Move Project - move the project to a specified location
- Push Pipeline to Live options - Tasks can be copied when converted to live or not as selected by the User in config.
Update Assigned Users
A trigger can be set up to update the users assigned to a project.
- Copy Permissions from another step
- Copy Permissions from the source step
- Select the users and groups to apply
- Add group that was added to a form field
- Add user that was added to a form field
- Add the submitter
Create New Item
A trigger can be set up to create a new project or form. Dropdown menus will allow the user to define what item is created and where it will be located.
Conditions can be added to a trigger so that it only fires if a specified form value is met or if entry point to the step was via a specific action.
1. Conditional trigger based on form value - In this instance, the system only fires a trigger if the form value is met.
Example: if the form contained a 'senior leadership review' checkbox and this is ticked, email the senior leadership team
2. Conditional Triggers based on action - In this instance, the system only fires a trigger if entry point to step was via a specific action
Example: if you enter a step for a second time as rework is needed you can send a different email to the users and stop any other trigger emails sending
3. Triggers to update users on a step via form - System can assign permissions to a step within the workflow based on form input
Example: if there was a form field asking who should review the creative, the user selected then gets assigned to next step
4. Additional Email Triggers to form users/groups - System can send an email out to a user/group specified in form
Example: Once the creative has been reviewed & approved, you may want to email a user/group specified in form that the project is ready for the next phase
Trigger Execution Rules
Execution rules limit the number of times a trigger can fire.
Next page: Permissions